Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimdscreen wiper motor

+4
Alex
David2010
Red Riley
Aussie Neil
8 posters

Go down

Wimdscreen wiper motor Empty Wimdscreen wiper motor

Post  Aussie Neil Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:23 pm

On the lookout for a windscreen wiper motor - missing from my car whem purchased.

Not sure what I need, and hoping somebosy can set me on the right path - a friend's car (Hornet Mark 3 he thinks) has a DR3A unit with the markings 75541B and 2/67. He thinks this is original but it could have been changed at any time over the past 40 years. A period Lucas catalogue suggests that the correct one is a DR3A Cat No 75456D.

Can anyone tell me please which is correct?

Also, I am told that the gear inside is marked with the number of degrees - what should a Mk 3 Elf have? There's apparently several different ones - from 90 degrees to 150 degrees.

All suggestions much appreciated

Aussie Neil

Back to top Go down

Wimdscreen wiper motor Empty Re: Wimdscreen wiper motor

Post  Red Riley Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Good question. Mine was replaced, and now runs the opposite direction and hits the scuttle on the near side.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wimdscreen wiper motor Empty WINDSCREEN WIPER MOTOR :

Post  David2010 Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:11 pm

[quote="Aussie Neil"] a DR3A unit with the markings 75541B and 2/67. He thinks this is original but it could have been changed at any time over the past 40 years. A period Lucas catalogue suggests that the correct one is a DR3A Cat No 75456D./quote]

According to the Somerford Mini parts catalogue, you are on the right track Aussie Neil.
At www.somerfordmini.co.uk they list 3 different Wiper Motors which cover ALL Minis from 1959 to 1968 inclusive.
{A 14W 2-speed self parking Motor was introduced later ( in 1969 )}.

The 3 Different Motors listed are ; -
1959-1961 : Lucas Type DR2 : Somerford Part No.14A5892 : Angle of Wipe 130 Degrees.
1961-1963 : Lucas Type DR3A : Somerford Part No.GXE7714 : Angle of Wipe 130 Degrees.
1964-1968 : Lucas Type DR3A : Somerford Part No.GXE7714 : Angle of Wipe 120 Degrees.

Wiper Racks & Wheel Boxes are common to all 3 Motor types listed above &...
Wiper Blades are also common to all 3 types - but Wiper Arms are " handed " i.e. Left or Right to match steering wheel position.

Note :The markings as you describe Aussie Neill, " 2/67 " indicate month and year of manufacure - i.e. February 1967.
Incidentally, this particular month/year marking on motors can often (not always) be a used to date a particular car's year
of manufacure. As an example, my early 1965 Morris Cooper has motor markings thus.... 75541A : DR3A : 1/64 :
I hope this helps...

David2010

David2010
David2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Neil Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:51 pm

Thanks David - that's a big help. Elfs and Hornets were never sold in Australia so restoration of a car isn't easy, when it comes to the detail items. And I have been surprised at how many little differebces there are between the Elf and equvalent Mini. Examples - rear windows, door pockets, fuel tank, door trims, seats. I bought my car as a rolling shell so a lot of bits and pieces were missing - busily hunting up the 'right' bits now.

Sometimes challenging but good fun!

Thanks again

Aussie Neil

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:17 pm

I might have a correct motor in a box somewhere - will take a look.
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  cooper50 Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:54 am

hi, i was always under the impression that the numbers on the parts reffered to week and year, the DR3A wiper motor on my 68 cooper is original and bears the numbers 17/68, this would be correct for my car, as it was built on May17th 1968, registered June 1968,,, quite a few other parts on my car are stamped with the same numbers, boot latch, door latch assy, to name a couple,
Icould be wrong but i dont think there is 17 quarters in a year, lol
Anyway all the best to you all
Dave

Last edited by cooper50 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

cooper50

Back to top Go down

Post  cooper50 Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:04 pm

Aussie Neil wrote:Thanks David - that's a big help. Elfs and Hornets were never sold in Australia so restoration of a car isn't easy, when it comes to the detail items. And I have been surprised at how many little differebces there are between the Elf and equvalent Mini. Examples - rear windows, door pockets, fuel tank, door trims, seats. I bought my car as a rolling shell so a lot of bits and pieces were missing - busily hunting up the 'right' bits now.

Sometimes challenging but good fun!

Thanks again
the bits you refer to are ll from the mini parts bin, the rear window throughout the range is the same as a MK1 Mini, the fuel tank is the same as a mini depending on the year of the elf/hornet, the door pockets are, after a lot of research, from the Italian Inoccenti Mini range, appart from the bespoke front and rear, the cars are all built from the BL Austin/Morris parts bin, all the best with the restoration, we all need help in that department, lolDave

cooper50

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Neil Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks for your helpful advice - in regard to the dating of a wiper motor, I think I read somewhere that the code resresents the week (not the month) and the year. Cooper 50 notes that his wiper motor has the date stamp 17/68 which, if the info I read is correct, means that the motor was built in the 17th week of 1968 ie late April or early May.

I found that the rear side windows of my car are about 1" narrower - I got a Mini window, put it in the window opening and found there was a 1" gap along the top! In addition, the Elf doesn't have the same piano hinge as the Mini - insrtead it has two little clip things (like cable clips that elecricians use to secure electrical conduit).

A Mini tank will fit but the filler neck has the wrong angle at the end. It's fine for the Mini as it follows the line of the Mini body, but the Elf with its little boot is flat at the point that the pipe pops out. I have had to cut out a small wedge shaped sliver. and bend it so that it finished up parallel with the line of the rear wing then reweld it (after filling the tank with water to expel any gases and vapours - I had no wish to go into orbit!)

Same deal with the door pockets - they seem to be unique to the Hornet/Elf. I spent most of today making a wooden replica to use to make a mould, to produce some fibgreglass ones, as I doubt that I will ever be able to buy any. (Having said that, I know that as soon as I produce my replicas, some will be offered on Ebay!) Door trims are similar too, but a different pattern to Minis, as far as I am aware.

Might be an interesting exercise to catalogue the differences - but then, how many people are restoring Elfs and Hornets?

These are just a few differences that I have found so far, with more to come no doubt

Aussie Neil

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:00 pm

I believe (but I could be wrong) that the Elf/Hornet fuel tanks were modified from Mini ones by slicing the neck off at an angle, then rotating the end until it is at the proper angle then re-welding.
The door pockets do come up on ebay once in a while, but in my experience the plastic turns to chalk when it sits outdoors for a while. I have a pair that came from a scrapped Elf that I wanted to repaint for my car, but they simply crumbled into dust when I tried to clean them up. They have a clear demarcation on them where they were apparently partly submerged or buried. I was thinking of modifying some to mount speakers, but not going to ruin my good ones. If someone has access to a vacuum-forming machine, I think that would be the way to reproduce them using a textured plastic sheet.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wimdscreen wiper motor Empty Elf Mods

Post  Aussie Neil Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:54 am

G'day Red Riley.

Modification of the tank filler pipe in the way you suggest would be another way of 'converting' a Mini tank to suit an Elf. Possibly better than my method, which worked OK too. Cut would need to be close to the cap end of the pipe because the pipe itself comes out of the hole in the body work in the right place. if it was cut half way between the tank and the filler cap end, the angle would change and it wouldn't come out the hole - that would be annoying!

IF I manage to replicate the door pockets (the mock up is coming along well but there's still a way to go) I will let you know - you might be interested in a couple of replicas for your speaket modifications. My plan is make then from fibreglass (when I learn how to use fibreglass that is! Fortunately I have a friend who has used this material a lot in the past and he will tutor me.

Thanks for your help with advice a few weeks ago regarding boot floor. I made up the side pieces out of some sheet metal I had, and the boot board out of some 1/2" ply, painted them all black and they look like the real thing!

Aussie Neil

Back to top Go down

Post  cooper50 Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:30 am

the door pockets are from the innoccent range of minis, a freind of mine has already taken a mould off mine and will make them for anyone on here,
with regard the listing of different bits for the elf/hornet, i think its a good idea, we could also source the many other parts that are common to the range of BMC cars of the time, i would be willing to do this for the forum, this way it stops people commanding stupid prices for parts they think are rare, when in fact are readily available from other more common cars

cooper50

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Neil Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:23 pm

Fantastic!

A. How much are your friend's reproduction door pockets please? I have done a lot of work on the mould so far but happy to consign that to the rubbish bin if I can get some ready made. If they have been taken off a real door pocket, I am sure they will be better that anything I can come up with. Sounds like Red Riley might also be in the market for a pair.

B. I know very little about Elfs but am learning fast! If I can be of any help with the common and unique parts list, I would be very pleased to contribute.

Maybe start with the Mini fuel tank - it will fit but the filler neck needs to be modified to re-align the filler cap with the body work. This involves cutting off the neck near the top, at an angle rotating it until it's the right alignment with the body, then rewelding it. (Big note of warning - fill the tank completely with water before goung anywhere near it with a flame - petrol vapours are deadly if ignited.)

Wiper motor DR3A Model 75456 as fitted to other makes (to be determined from someone who might have an old Lucas catalogue). A friend has one but he'lives a fair way away - I hope to be able to see him sometime this week.

What won't fit? Some Mini rear side windows (too narrow)

Not much of a start, but we've got to start somewhere!

Aussie Neil

Back to top Go down

Post  cooper50 Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:51 pm

lets start with the side windows, i know these fit from a MK3 Mini, so any side opening window wil fit from 1970 onwards, check on the hinge arranement though
the rear window on all the models of elf/hornet is from a Mk1 Mini, these are quite scarce now so be carefull with yours, ive got 3 here at home,
wiper motors, the DR3 fits the Mk3 ELF.HORNET FROM THE mk2//3 Mini range, you could even adapt the self park to work.
the front windscreen is from the Mini range, so make it possible to have a green tinded window in you elf.
The door pockets are from th italian range if minis, the innocentti, or in fibreglass from me,
ive just looked at a mini 5 1/2 gallon tank, and they look identical, so the possibility of fitting twin tanks is good

I think we realy should set up a separate thread for this subject as the list could become quite large

lets make this happe gentle men

cooper50

Back to top Go down

Wimdscreen wiper motor Empty Front windscreen replacement

Post  RehctELF Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:04 pm

COOPER50 wrote
"the front windscreen is from the Mini range, so make it possible to have a green tinted window in you elf."

Hi Cooper50, is this true cos I have deep scratches (almost grooves) in mine. Before I got the car it seems the wipers have been left running without blade rubber.
I am no where near an MOT yet but thought that this issue may be a costly replacement item or a rare part. If you are right it may not be too expensive after all?

RehctELF

Back to top Go down

Post  cooper50 Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:47 am

100% sure, the windscreens fit, they are about £40 for a clear laminated one, plus the VAT of course

cooper50

Back to top Go down

Post  cooper50 Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:54 am

[quote="Aussie Neil"]Fantastic!

A. How much are your friend's reproduction door pockets please?

having just spoken to my friend about the pockets, he says they will be around £50 per pair,plus postage of around £7.00.
the only down side to this is, he needs an orfer for 6 pairs to make a run,
if anyone is interested in these please contavt me and i will arrange the orders

cooper50

Back to top Go down

Wimdscreen wiper motor Empty Windscreen wiper motor

Post  Aussie Neil Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Have been loaned a Lucas Equipment and Service parts catalogue for BMC cars, 1968. According to this, the correct wiper motor for the Mark III Elf and Hornet is Lucas DR3A, Part number 75456D which was also fitted to all the Mark II Minis, including the quarter ton pick up truck and the Mini Travellers.

Aussie Neil

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:32 pm

[quote="cooper50"]
Aussie Neil wrote:Fantastic!

A. How much are your friend's reproduction door pockets please?

having just spoken to my friend about the pockets, he says they will be around £50 per pair,plus postage of around £7.00.
the only down side to this is, he needs an orfer for 6 pairs to make a run,
if anyone is interested in these please contavt me and i will arrange the orders

It would be helpful if you couls put some photos up of these so members can see what they would be getting?
Thanks
Tony
Admin
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cooper50 Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:56 pm

It would be helpful if you couls put some photos up of these so members can see what they would be getting?
Thanks
Tony
Admin[/quote]
as soon as the first ones are finished i will put a piv on here, in the meantime it would be good to know numbers wanted, cheers dave

cooper50

Back to top Go down

Post  cooper50 Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:19 am

the only down side of posting pictures on here, is the long winded way of doing it, in this day and age of the techo geeks you would have thought someone would have sorted that out by now, i tried the other week topost pics of the two restoration elfs i have, after going to this site and transfered to this site, do this, register her, make sure your pics are of this format, i lost the will to live and gave up on the idea alltogether, not very good i know, but i have a busy life and cant be arsed with all the tooing and froing, someone please make it simple and i ,and i suppose many others will post pics for all to see, rant ove now,
Other than tht this is the best forum ive been on in a long time

All the best dave

cooper50

Back to top Go down

Post  onza100 Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:38 pm

Posting photos here is very easy. Create a photobucket account and upload them to that. Then just use the IMG links it generates for you.
Most fourms are the same.
onza100
onza100

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down