Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introducing another South African MK3

+12
devon_AUSTIN-MK3
Big_Al_Smith
asahartz
David2010
Coco_ChanElf
KevCT
TONYELF
cheleker
Jared Mk3
Red Riley
wolseley 1000
SAMK3
16 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Introducing another South African MK3 Empty Introducing another South African MK3

Post  SAMK3 Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:00 am

A friend just found me a South African 1970 Mini MK3. Introducing another South African MK3 IMG2942-L
Introducing another South African MK3 IMG2941-copy-L

We just took ownership and the car is really solid, minimal rust, numbers matching. The interior is in great shape as well. I'm pretty excited. The plan is a thorough restoration to as much originality as I can justify to spend. I'm not sure about the color, seems to match some Hornets I've seen online. Anyone have some suggestions for paint matching for the respray? It seems too light for Almond Green, but too green for Porcelain Green or Florida Green, Island Green...

Thanks!
Mark

Last edited by SAMK3 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add photos)
SAMK3
SAMK3

Back to top Go down

Introducing another South African MK3 Empty Re: Introducing another South African MK3

Post  wolseley 1000 Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:50 am

what a great find! I´m so happy for you Very Happy

Please, do your self a favour and keep the car as original as possible!
There aren´t much left of these beautys and every single detail is essential.
Guess that information from the factory is as good as with my Wolseley 1000,
so it´s basicly nothing.
First thing I would do is a very good photo documentation of what you´ve found.
For example:
- have a look on the starter motor if there is "LUCAS South Africa" pressed in.
- have a look on the radiator whether its a S.A. company built one.
- have a look on the carpets whether they are original ones.
- a.s.o.

By the way, I think the present colour is great !

Good luck and have lots of patience Gregor
wolseley 1000
wolseley 1000

Back to top Go down

Introducing another South African MK3 Empty Re: Introducing another South African MK3

Post  SAMK3 Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:04 am

Thanks Gregor.
I believe it has been modified to an alternator. My friend said the headliner is of an irreplaceable fabric but there are stains. I'll see if we can clean the stains to minimize them. The current paint is a poor respray but appears to match the color found under the carpet. We are far from paint time, but I'd like to start lining up the information. I'd be surprised if the starter were original, but maybe people do rebuild instead of replace in SA. I'll do what i can to keep all original parts. I won't be in SA very often to supervise the work as closely, but the person who may do the work knows his Minis and my local friend is very particular with details. Hopefully there will be no surprises. If I were local, I'd label and bag all the parts, photograph everything.

SAMK3
SAMK3

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:18 am

Have you gotten a copy of Ryno Verster's book on SA Minis? That would probably be a really good resource to have on hand. Also Chuck Heleker is very knowledgeable on SA cars. If anyone would know the proper paint codes it would be one of them.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:25 pm

That is a stunning car actually i.e. overall condition. I like how it still has the wheel trims on, the correct clear lenses in the front (these are often lost or broken) and that bonnet badge is almost perfect. You've got a very good base to get going with there. As I've said before, these cars were often butchered or neglected, so to find one in fairly good condition like that is a steal. Just out of interest, how much did you pay for the car?
Jared Mk3
Jared Mk3

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:18 am

about 10k rand.
SAMK3
SAMK3

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:19 am

Wow! That sounds like a great deal. I wouldn't mind finding a few more at that price.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:15 am

For the car that you got, that price is a steal. I've seen ones in far worse condition and the guys are asking in the region of R 20k which is absolute madness. I picked mine up for about R 7k way back in 2007 and been doing it slowly since then.
Jared Mk3
Jared Mk3

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:02 pm

It will probably need a gearbox rebuild and headwork. Some bodywork on account of bent panels. And a going over of the suspension, brakes. I'll know more when the shop looks at the car sometime next week, I guess. I'm trying to find a good balance between a full-out restoration and a solid going over. The interior looks great as is, with a little cleaning and new carpet, and some small odds and ends.
SAMK3
SAMK3

Back to top Go down

Introducing another South African MK3 Empty more photos

Post  SAMK3 Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:07 pm

Introducing another South African MK3 IMG2880-L
Introducing another South African MK3 IMG2894-L
SAMK3
SAMK3

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:28 pm

Is the engine still the 998cc or has it been upgraded to a big bore motor? Also, don't get rid of or lose that washer bottle as they are uniquely South African and were made in Cape Town back in the day.
Jared Mk3
Jared Mk3

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:43 pm

The original engine is in there. Fuel pump is electric. No more generator. The radiator is stamped Made in South Africa. The carpet will need replacing. Speakers were installed in rear side panels/cards. Considering how clean the interior is, I may just keep the panels as they are, unless I can find a matching set.
SAMK3
SAMK3

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:54 am

That interior looks quite good, as you say. It might be a bit of hassle finding matching cards here in SA, but you never know, you could strike it lucky. Are you planning on keeping the car as original as possible? Also, does your car have the Mk3 badge on the boot lid?
Jared Mk3
Jared Mk3

Back to top Go down

Post  wolseley 1000 Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:17 pm

wolseley 1000
wolseley 1000

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:08 am

I have the original badge. It will need rechroming. The ebay listing looks tempting. Repro or replaced original? hmmm
SAMK3
SAMK3

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:53 pm

Doubt I'll find another one of these...
Introducing another South African MK3 IMG2887-L
SAMK3
SAMK3

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:52 pm

I doubt you will. That badge is actually better than my one is.
Jared Mk3
Jared Mk3

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:38 am

Don't know if you'd be interested in having your emblems restored, but there's this place.
Emblemagic
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  wolseley 1000 Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:56 am

wolseley 1000
wolseley 1000

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:33 am

Cool. I shot off an email to the restoration shop. I'll probably keep mine as is unless it looks really bad.
SAMK3
SAMK3

Back to top Go down

Post  cheleker Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:27 pm

The outer ring for that standard Austin Mk II badge is still available new, or at least it was last time I looked. I had to do a lot of searching to find a replacement for the centre piece when I was rebuilding my Mk II Austin South African Countryman. I was able to locate two, neither of which was in great condition. One turned out OK with a little paint on the backside and some special polish on the front...then it was pried off the car during a long rod trip during an overnight stop by someone who thought it would be better off in his pocket then on my car.

cheleker

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:59 am

Sorry to hear about the stolen emblem. At least they left the car. Smile

Emblemagic responded to my email (see below). Interesting. But I think I'll keep my emblem as is.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email. We are able to reproduce the plastic insert type of emblem as described on our website in amounts as small as one using the custom hand crafting process. This type of reproduction is virtually an exact replica of the original pattern emblem that we use for a model. For that reason it is important that we have a relatively sound plastic piece for this purpose. Excessive cracking, warping or breakage can render such a piece useless as a model. We must physically examine the piece to give you a definite quote. This type of work requires a lot time, aside from the backlog we regularly sustain on this type of project. We are currently scheduling New Reproductions for: late 2013

If you decide you are interested in beginning, the next step would be for you to send in your original emblem. Be sure you have a good idea of what colors go where on the emblem, if they are missing. Package it securely with your shipping information, phone number and email address, and send it to our address below, and we will contact you with our quote as soon as we have had a chance to appraise its value as a pattern emblem.

Once the job is initiated (we have received your deposit to go ahead with the order) the original emblem will become the property of Emblemagic, so it is often a good idea to send a spare that will allow you to keep something on your car in the meanwhile.

You are under no obligation by sending us your original emblem for appraisal. We will send your original emblem back, if you wish, in the event that you do not place an order.
SAMK3
SAMK3

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:33 pm

Looks like I may need some bumper overriders. Mine are banged up a bit. Maybe they can be banged back into form and replated. Are they hard to find in the UK?
SAMK3
SAMK3

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:38 pm

SAMK3 wrote:Looks like I may need some bumper overriders. Mine are banged up a bit. Maybe they can be banged back into form and replated. Are they hard to find in the UK?

Like rocking horse poo I'm afraid to tell you. Keep and eye on Ebay.
Tony
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KevCT Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:51 pm

wolseley 1000 wrote:what a great find! I´m so happy for you Very Happy

Please, do your self a favour and keep the car as original as possible!
There aren´t much left of these beautys and every single detail is essential.
Guess that information from the factory is as good as with my Wolseley 1000,
so it´s basicly nothing.
First thing I would do is a very good photo documentation of what you´ve found.
For example:
- have a look on the starter motor if there is "LUCAS South Africa" pressed in.
- have a look on the radiator whether its a S.A. company built one.
- have a look on the carpets whether they are original ones.
- a.s.o.

By the way, I think the present colour is great !

Good luck and have lots of patience Gregor

Samk3's car is extremely original. It is in the original color although it looks like sections have been hand painted and there is filler in the drivers door. No other appreciable rust though. The car has its original 1000cc motor but has been converted to an alternator. The starter motor is the correct local LUCAS SA item. The radiator is also correct, being a Silverton radiator (a Cape Town company still in existence) although the makers sticker is missing. Its a "matching numbers car" as mentioned with all the correct BMC SA body plates. The wiper motor is dated 1969. It has some amazing original features including the rare plastic windscreen washer bottle, the boot board with brackets and original tools in the correct blue vinyl cover. It even has the original cardboard battery cover which usually never survives the years... The upholstery is good but the front carpets are junky non originals that will have to go. The headlining is original but unfortunately I think it may disintegrate when removed for paint; its very brittle. The badges are all correct, even the chromed mazak mk3 badge. The steering wheel is badly cracked but is easily replaced and the Austin crest central boss is present but the base is cracked. Overall I think a great find and its going to be amazing after rest, better than mine Very Happy

KevCT

P.S. I'm the friend who sourced the car.
KevCT
KevCT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next