Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sliding Window channel replacement

4 posters

Go down

Sliding Window channel replacement Empty Sliding Window channel replacement

Post  discoman41 Wed May 11, 2011 2:01 pm

Hello all, having recently acquired my lovely Mk2 Hornet I find myself needing to replace the sliding window channels as they have deteriorated through lack of use.

I have the channels to put in, but having only ever to have to deal with Mk3 doors, I have absolutely no idea how to get the windows out let alone the old channels!

I'm guessing it must be simple - but it's certainly not obvious to someone who has never done before!

Can anyone give me a step by step guide (for dummies!) to carry out this task?

thanks!!

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Sliding Window channel replacement Empty Re: Sliding Window channel replacement

Post  bill773mini Wed May 11, 2011 2:42 pm

Hi Jase

There are three self tapper down through the fabric bottom window channel through the chrome runner. One near the front you'll need to slide back the front window to find and two you'll need to slide the rear half forward to find. They can be a real pain to undo if they've been there a while. If they wont come out I've drilled them out before now and replaced them in a very slightly different position. Once the screws are out the whole bottom channel with the chrome and channel including the windows them selves will come out towards the inside of the car. Be careful not to drop the lot!

Replacing is the opposite with the channel in the door frame going in first. Then locate the windows in the top channel (putting them together in the middle so they are both slightly open is the easiest way) then slide the channel and chrome already on the bottom of the glass on to the door.

I'll see if I can find some photo's.

Bill

bill773mini

http://www.1959miniregister.com

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Wed May 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks Bill!

Most helpful. Will give it a try on Friday (day off!) Smile

Cheers

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  cheleker Wed May 11, 2011 5:22 pm

Bill posted, "Be careful not to drop the lot!" Very important point! It helps if you have someone working with you.

Before you reinsert the bits, mark on the inside of the door just below the spots where screws will go. I put tape on the vertical surface and mark on the tape. Once the assembly is in place (don't forget the sealant under the chrome piece) drill new holes in the areas you marked on the tape.

This is not a fun job made more difficult by channels not fitting as well as they should anymore, so bring lots of patience with you when you tackle this one.

cheleker

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Thu May 12, 2011 12:23 am

Cheleker says...

(don't forget the sealant under the chrome piece)

For sealant I used a couple of parallel beads of "DumDum" under the lower chrome piece and, when all was in Place and the screws tightened, it was a simple matter to run a wet finger along the join between the chrome and the door to smooth it all off.

http://www.car-spot.co.uk/item/50669/Eldro+Dum+Dum+Sealing+Compound/

BTW, use stainless self tappers!

Cheers
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down